Thursday, February 20, 2014

one united nation

A somewhat forgotten bundle of words.
I recently had a conversation with a Christian friend regarding what I posted earlier on the LoveSingapore documents. What follows are not his views, but mine:

I suppose one big reason why Christians are averse towards the decriminalizing of gay sex is that they believe it will cause the breakdown of traditional family values. Some argue that normalizing homosexual behavior gives their children the impression that it is okay.

First, let's not hate on them for thinking that way. They were raised that way. It's not easy for them to change their way of thinking just like it's impossible for me to want to have sex with Emma Watson. (I still think she's hot.) It might seem illogical that they can't see things our way, but to them it's illogical we don't see things theirs. So yeah, we're tied on this.

Second, I would like to draw an analogy from our Muslim friends. Unless you've been living under a rock, you'll probably notice Muslims do not eat pork or its related products. One thing I have yet to see from them, though, is complaining that pork is literally everywhere. That is, I do not see Muslims complaining that the aroma of pork in every hawker centre and the many people who eat them are a bad influence on their children. With more than 70% of the population being Chinese and non-Muslim, it is evident that pork eating lifestyle has been normalized. Are they not worried that the scarcity of Muslim food and the Chinese companions of their children will lead them astray? To some extent, I'm sure they do. But what I don't see if them enforcing it on others. Are they less devout or less sincere in their prayers? I'm sure we both doubt so.

If I were to link this back to Christianity and homosexuality, why then should it be a matter of concern that homosexuality be legalized? Are the followers of Christianity so weak-willed and their beliefs fragile that the actions of others can influence them so easily? I honestly doubt so. The outspokenness of Christians on this issue today plainly reflects their strong convictions. I'm pretty sure no amount of normalization is going to turn any straight Christian (or not) gay. Instead of saying that their beliefs are erroneous, I merely suggest that their fears are unfounded.

Lastly, most crimes mala prohibita (acts that are unlawful only by virtue of statute rather than that of an inherent evil; victimless crimes), which is where sex between men falls under, are the result of the will of the people or the moral crusades of a few. The latter leaves no room for discussion so let's talk about consensus instead.  Think about the pork example again. Let's say that Muslims made up 80% of the population. Wouldn't an anti-pork law thus easily be the will of the people should they want to make it so? I don't think there's a need for me to elaborate further. In essence, good laws do not simply reflect what the majority agrees with. It must also be able to protect the rights of the minorities. I'm sure there's no dispute over this. What's hard is striking the balance and that's something we really have to work towards.

Just my personal opinion.

-Timothy Lastname

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: